His Holiness Pope John Paul-II, erected the eparchy of Thamarassery on April 28th 1986,by the Apostolic Constitution Ad perpetuam dei memoriam bifurcating the Diocese of Tellicherry.The Patroness of this eparchy is St Alphonsa.Only this eparchy has the unique privilege to have an indigenous patroness in Kerala.The eparchy consists of two revenue districts of Kozhikode and Malappuram,in the Northern part of Kerala.The Catholics of this diocese are the migrants from the central part of Kerala.Bishop Mar Sebastian Mankuzhikary, the then auxiliary Bishop of the Arch Diocese of Ernakulam,was appointed as the first Bishop of Thamarassery by the Apostolic Constitution Pro munere nostro de singulis.The eparchy of Thamarassery was formally inaugurated and the Bishop took charge of the eparchy on July 3rd,1986,on the feast of St.Thomas,at the Sacred Heart Church,Thiruvambady.On June 11th,1994 he was called for the eternal reward.
On June 14th, 1994 Msgr.Francis Aruparayil, the then ProtoSyncellus was appointed as the administrator of the eparchy. Bishop Jacob Thoomkuzhy, the Bishop of Mananthavady was appointed as the Bishop of Thamarassery on June 7, 1995 and took charge on 28th of July the same year. He was nominated as Archbishop of Trichur on Nov.11th, 1996.Bishop Mar Paul Chittilappilly, Bishop of Kalyan, was transferred and was appointed as the Bishop of Thamarassery on November 11th, 1996 and took charge of his office on Feb 13th, 1997.
Mar Remigiose Inchananiyil is nominated as the Fourth bishop of Thamarassery on 18 January 2010 by His Beatitude Cardninal Mar Varkey Vithayathil the Major Archbishop of Syro Malabar Church and Consecrated on 8th April 2010 by His Grace Archbishop Mar George Valiyamattam at Pullurampara Bethania Retreat Center
Bishop Sebastian Mankuzhikary was born on March 2,1929 at ThannirMukkom,Alapuzha district in the Archdiocese of Ernakulam.He joined the Sacred Heart minor seminary,Ernakulam in 1945.He was ordained priest on March12th,1955 by Mar Joseph Parekkattil,the then auxiliary to Grace Most Rev.Dr.Augustine Kandathil,Metropolitan Archbishop of Ernakulam.On November 15th1969 he was nominated auxiliary to His Eminence Joseph Cardinal Parekattil.On April 28,1986 he was appointed the first Bishop of newly erected eparchy of Thamarassery and he assumed charge on July 3,1986.On 11 June,1994 he was called for his eternal reward by the Heavenly Father.
He was born in the Vilakumadam in the diocese of Pala on December 13,1930.At present his family belongs to Sacred heart parish,Thiruvambady,in the eparchy of Thamarassery.He had his seminary studies at St.Joseph pontifical seminary,Aluva and Pontifical Urban seminary ,Rome. He was ordained priest on December 22nd 1959 in Rome. After the ordination he continued his studies there and took doctorate in Canon Law and Civil Law in the Lateran University. On coming back he was appointed as secretary to Sebastian Vallopilly,the then Bishop of Tellichery,and chancellor of the eparchy, later he was appointed rector of diocesan minor seminary at Tellichery.After a few years he resumed his studies at Fordham university,Newyork,from where he took Masters degree in English Literature. Soon after his return from the States, he was again appointed as Rector of diocesan Minor seminary, Thalassery and worked there till his nomination as the first Bishop of newly erected Eparchy of Mananthavady in 1973.Late Joseph Cardinal Parekattil assisted by late Mar Sebastian Vayalil and Mar Sebastian Vallopilly consecrated him on May 1, 1973.Bishop Thoomkuzhy took charge of the eparchy on the same day. He served the eparchy of Mananthavady for 22 years. On 7th June 1995, he was appointed Bishop of Thamarassery and took charge of the office on 28 July. On the feast day of Blessed Alphonsa the patroness of the diocese. On 11the November 1996 he was nominated Archbishop of Trichur.He retired as Metropolitan of the Arch eparchy of Trichur on 18th March 2007
Bishop Mar Paul Chittilappilly, Bishop of Kalyan, was transferred and was appointed as the Bishop of Thamarassery on November 11th, 1996 and took charge of his office on Feb 13th, 1997 and retired on 8th April 2010
Protosyncellus:1986 to 1988
Protosyncellus:1988 to 1993
Died on :24-12-1996
Protosyncellus:1993 to 1995
Administrator:1994 to 1995
Protosyncellus:1995 to 2000
Born at Kottakkad in the Eparchy of Changanassery on December 28.1958.His Family migrated to valillapuzha in 1980.After his school education at Thottakkad he joined seminary at Changanassery.He had his priestly training at St.Thomas apostolic seminary,Vadavathoor,Kottayam and was ordined priest at Vadavathoor seminary on December 19.1983.After serving in a few parishes he was apppointed in the minor seminary as spititual director in 1990.In 1999 he was appointed vice rector of minor seminary and in 2000 as rector.While serving in Holy Family Church Venappara he was appointed Prorosyncelus of the diocese on May 14,2006